Tuesday, August 21, 2012

Kazbah @ Balmain/Top Ryde

I'm crazy for brunch at Kazbah thesedays. Especially with spring coming along, I can't help but feel like brunch with sunshine and yummies! I've compiled the three trips into this one page and yes, I got the french toast twice but can't you blame me?! 



The Kazbah in Balmain is a beautiful place. From the yellow walls to the exotic lanterns, everything about this place makes it a relaxing mini resort in the middle of Sydney. 



Breakfast is available until 3pm! 


Their very interesting water jug. I hope they don't keep the mint in there for too long because I have seen them pouring water from a half empty jug into another jug to make it full. 


Freshly squeezed orange juice. 


Turkish coffee for the Man. He's grown a liking to black coffee these days so he decided to be adventurous today and try this out. 


Neither of us have seen this contraption before so we were both giggly like kids as he poured the coffee into his cup. The cup was so cute and pretty!


French toast, bacon, glazed baby figs, double cream, apple cinnamon syrup. A delicious concoction of sheer happiness. The brioche was thick and buttery, the perfect type of bread for this sweet dish. The syrup does get overpowering halfway through the meal but that's where the savoury bacon helps. The plump figs made me feel like I was somewhere on the Mediterranean, enjoying the warmth rather than having layers upon layers of clothing.



A closer look.


Thick and buttery. Yum!


 The breakfast tagine - lamb mince, sucuk, spinach, roast capsicum, roast tomato, caramelized onion, feta, eggs. The Man really loves this dish. Every visit to Kazbah, he orders this without a doubt.


 It's a bit too spicy for me to have as breakfast or brunch but it is a delicious dish nonetheless. The lamb and the spices highlight the Mediterranean/North African theme of Kazbah.


Watermelon and rose juice. I really love their juices at Kazbah. Every day, they have a different blend of juice available which are all lovely despite their sometimes strange combinations. 


Warm rice pudding, saffron poached pear, hazelnuts. I've been craving this one the next day. This milky smooth pudding would make the perfect dessert to have on a cold winter's night (or breakfast for all the sweet tooths). The rice is plump and chewy, and the saffron poached pear adds that exotic mix to this homey dish.


The breakfast tagine again.


Third visit - I got the french toast again. The presentation isn't as good as the Balmain branch and the bread had a lot of crust on it but it was still good.


Chickpea fritters, pork belly shish kebab, creme fraiche, baby spinach, roast tomato, poached egg, capsicum sauce. I wonder if people actually have this as breakfast.


I didn't get to try this but I thought it was quite small. An extra fritter or two would have upgraded the dish to a true main sized meal. 


Although I wouldn't normally eat pork belly for breakfast or brunch, I have to admit that the pork belly was crispy and delicious. 


Spicy Moroccan lamb mince, hummus, pine nuts, pita bread. Again, this was more of a snack than a meal. It tasted similar to the lamb tagine but without the grease. Turkish bread would have made both the dish and the person fuller and happier.

The Top Ryde branch definitely falls behind on the quality of the dishes, presentation, and most importantly, the flavour. However, on days when Balmain is a little too far, it will have to do.

Kazbah on Urbanspoon

Kazbah Top Ryde on Urbanspoon



1 comment: